Pages

1.18.2009

It's Sunday, Might as Well

One of my favorite books is Mitch Albom's Tuesdays With Morrie, and I enjoyed the film starring Jack Lemon as much as I'd enjoyed reading the book. Yesterday, I turned across a movie that was just beginning. I didn't know the name of it for about an hour, but it got me hooked immediately. It turned out to be The Five People You Meet In Heaven, starring Jon Voight. It wasn't until after it was over, and I looked it up on the web, that I discovered the film was made from the book of the same title by none other that Mitch Albom. No wonder I liked it...



I love films like this one; my other favorite movie of this type is What Dreams May Come. I have to confess though, I liked the movie better than I did the book.

Still, the life lessons that both of these authors share are invaluable, and of course, they're filled with quotes that you just have to write down. As one who believes in the infinite soul and the universality of all life (I like to say that we're all just energy molecules that make up the cosmic soup of the inifite), I'm always speculating about the so-called afterlife (which is a misnomer, but I won't go into all that right now) I also owe it to two near-death experiences.

Here are some quotes from the book/film:
"People think of heaven as a paradise garden, a place where they can float on clouds and laze in rivers and mountains. But scenery without solace is meaningless."

"The human spirit knows, deep down, that all lives intersect. That death doesn’t just take someone, it misses someone else, and in the small distance between being taken and being missed, lives are changed."

"Strangers are just family you have yet to come to know."

"No life is a waste. The only time we waste is the time we spend thinking we are alone."

"Sacrifice is a part of life. It’s supposed to be. It’s not something you regret. It’s something to aspire to. Little sacrifices. Big sacrifices. A mother works so her son can go to school. A daughter moves home to care of her sick father. Sometimes when you sacrifice something precious, you’re not really losing it. You’re just passing it on to someone else."

"Young men go to war. Sometimes because they have to, sometimes because they want to. Always, they feel they are supposed to. This comes from the sad, layered stories of life, which over the centuries have seen courage confused with picking up arms, and cowardice confused with laying them down."

"Time is not what you think. Dying? Not the end of everything. We think it is, but what happens on earth is only the beginning."

"Holding anger is a poison. It eats you from inside. We think that hating is a weapon that attacks the person who harmed us. But hatred is a curved blade. And the harm we do, we do to ourselves."

"There are no random acts. We are all connected. You can no more separate one life from another than you can separate a breeze from the wind."

"Lost love is still love. It just takes a different form, that's all. You can't hold their hand. You can't tousle their hair. But when those senses weaken another one comes to life. Memory. Memory becomes your partner. You hold it. You dance with it. Life has to end. Love doesn't."

Have a great Sunday!