Pages

11.19.2008

Ex Libris

Willow posted a great little book meme this morning that I just have to snag (she said we could... really!) Please feel free to pick up on it if you feel so inclined. It's really pretty simple. Just select 4 books:

1. Fiction
2. Autobiography
3. Non-fiction
4. A fourth book of your choice from any genre

Explain why the books are essential reads in no more than 30 words per book (this part might not be so easy). So here are mine...

Fiction: The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley
I've always loved the Arthurian legends, but this one's special in that it tells the story through the experiences of the women. Exciting heroines and villains!

Autobiography: My Autobiography by Charlie Chaplin
From the droll humor of the title to the profound closing paragraphs, this book has inspired me in more ways than I can list here. Chaplin was a brilliant mind.

Non-fiction: A Literate Passion: The Letters of Anaïs Nin & Henry Miller edited by Gunther Stuhlman
I read this book like some people read the Bible. It has had a place beside my chair since 1994. As much as I love Nin, it's Miller who wins me over with his insight and foresight. Every time.

Book of My Choice: Just for fun, read A Dog's Life by Peter Mayle. Apart from A Year In Provence, this is my favorite of his real-life tales.

There are so many books I could have selected, but today I'm feeling a bit lighthearted, so my favorite warhorses have taken a back seat. Until the next book meme.