Pages

11.01.2008

Clocking In & Out

I never quite know what to do with myself on Saturdays. As a web designer I really love my work, and it's hard for me to put my clients' sites on the back burner when the weekend arrives. Because Nettl's home, I feel more motivated to work and less inclined to futz around on the internet.

One of the first rules of owning your own business is to create work time and off time and never the twain shall meet, but because my work is of a creative nature I have a hard time thinking of it as work. One of the pluses is that I can create a work week that suits me. I've pretty much established mine as Tuesday through Saturday. Still, because I spent over 25 years in the Cubicle Jungle, I still can't establish strict working hours. As a result, I tend to put in 12+ hour days.

I work on the system of billable hours and keep a detailed and honest time sheet for each of my clients. On it I record the date, hours to-and-from, and a detailed description of the work I do. That way, there are no surprises and everything is transparent. I work, I get paid. I don't work, I don't get paid, rounded up or down to the nearest half-hour.

Today, I'm watching The West Wing on Bravo while working on a photo gallery for a client. But first, I need some lunch, then I'll clock in.