Pages

8.04.2008

Random, At Random, Randomly

Today I'm feeling, as the kids nowadays say, random. Ever since I began seeing that word used in that sense it's bothered me. "I'm random." "Are you random?" I don't care how they use it, it bugs me. Thoughts can be random, circumstances can be random, but can a person be random?...
ran·dom
Pronunciation: 'ran-dəm
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, succession, surge, from Anglo-French randun, from Old French randir to run, of Germanic origin; akin to Old High German rinnan to run—more at run
Date: 1561
: a haphazard course
—at random
: without definite aim, direction, rule, or method

Function: adverb
Date: 1618
: in a random manner

Function: adjective
Date: 1632
: lacking a definite plan, purpose, or pattern b: made, done, or chosen at random
I just don't get how a person can be random. I'm not going to beef too much, though, I come from the generation who said such things as, "Oh, that new Beatle album is tough!", "I crave that song!", and "Spiro Agnew just ain't where it's at."

Here are some random things.


The guy on the left is Alfred Einstein. He was a noted Mozart historian and the 1st cousin of Albert Einstein, the guy on the right. Duh. People sometimes get them mixed up. Many times, when I mention Alfred Einstein, non-music people exclaim, "I didn't know he was a Mozart dude!"

The guys on the bottom are Izzy Einstein and Mo Smith. They were agents of the US Prohibition Unit during the first years of the alcohol prohibition era. They were well known for successfully shutting down illegal speakeasies and similar drinking establishments and confiscating 5 million bottles of hooch. Here they are toasting their success. Izzy was no relation to Albert and Alfred, although he had a son named Albert. Oh, well. So much for that.

I finally gave in and bought some of those squiggly energy-saver light bulbs. If they're behind a gold-colored lampshade they're not so bad, but I'm still iffy about them. I like the idea that, if they live up to the hype, at least eight bulbs in this house won't have to be changed out for 7-9 years, but did you know they have mercury in them? Mercury. That means careful and prescribed disposal when they do burn out. And what about it escaping through the glass? How is that helpful to the environment, or me? I have real mercury issues. When I was a kid in science class and the rest of the kids got to dip a dime into some mercury, I wouldn't go near it. Later, when I found out that my teeth are full of mercury fillings, I started researching the effects of it. I believe my depression, thyroid and auto-immune problems have to do with that. Anyway, the bulbs are money-savers, but...

~*~

The house that Nettl grew up in is in the process of being dismantled in order to be moved to a different location. Her dad sold it after her mother died a few years ago. We drove by it last night and saw that they'd already pulled all of the bricks off of the exterior, so we stopped to get a few. I also removed the family door knocker so that Nettl could have it. I know it was hard for her to walk around the property. I could see half a lifetime of memories cross her mind and emotions, but she handled it. When we first moved here and found out her dad was going to sell it, we wanted to rent-to-buy, but he wouldn't go for it; he wanted to sell immediately. The things I could have done with that prpoerty! Anyway, now that I have a brick, I'm going to cover it with foil tonight and make...

~*~

...a panini bar for dinner! Last night I got all the things it'll take for everyone to build their own panini, which I'll press on the grill pan with the brick. Thanks, Alton Brown, for that idea. Who needs to spend $200 on a press?

~*~

I've been sleeping really hard this week. When I wake up, I feel like I've taken a sleeping pill, although I haven't. I've also been dreaming really hard, and not happy, peaceful things. I've been dreaming of composing, performing, forgetting lyricsall musical stuff. Hard work. Probably why I wake up feeling to sluggish.

~*~

"Never argue with a baker. Once they get their thumbs around your neck, you're toast." Anthony Bourdain

~*~

Tomorrow is Joel's birthday. Nettl, Micah and I are taking him to Zanotti's Wine Bar. We're inviting Dr. Kielbasa as well.

~*~

I didn't tell you that the day after our cat was rescued from the storm drain, she got in a fight with a local tom cat, who really made hamburger of her right back leg. We couldn't afford to take her to the vet yet again, so Nettl kept an eye on it. The cat barfed a lot, slept a lot, but she's okay now. We're still not letting her out after dark anymore, though. Poor Lowrider. First, food poisoning from popping baby frogs like Raisinettes, then the storm drain, then this.

~*~

Today, I actually have the free time to work on my screenplay. I've finished the client's site and his check's in the mail, so I'm working on something for ME. (That's also why I'm here making a lame entry at 1:00 in the afternoon, still dressed in my jim-jams.) That being said, I'm outta here.

Have a day!