Pages

8.26.2008

If It's a Small World After All, Why Can't I See It?

Do you ever wonder about living another place you've never visited? Sometimes I'll be watching the Travel Channel and I'll think, "I wonder, if I'd visited that place when I was younger and loved it, would I have been happier living there?" I mean, what if I went to, say, Helsinki and realized that it was the place I should have been living all these years?...



It's not really wanderlust, it's more like, well, I don't know what it's called, but it hits me every now and again. I kind of envy people who have the financial ability, as well as the freedom, to see this planet we live on. I've always wanted to be a world traveler, not in the tourist sense, or even in a jet-setting sense. I always wanted to just go places, immerse myself in them for a while and then move on. A summer in Dublin, a winter in Barbados, a year in Florence. What if I've missed out on the one place that I'd really love?

There are a few places I've been where I know I'd be happy, but for some reason I ended up here, in a place I'd never ever considered, and with good reason. Now it looks like I'll be here until I die, and although I like it here, I resent not being able to be where I really want to be, or even being able to shop around for the right place.

Or maybe most people don't even think like this. Maybe they live their lives in one place and are content. There's something in me that keeps telling me that living a normal life in the Bible Belt is not where I'm supposed to be, but what can one do about it?