Pages

6.06.2009

A Bookish Meme For Saturday

I found this on Facebook. Use it if you want, but try to refrain from italicizing book titles (I know you want to...)...

1. What author do you own the most books by?
Either Virginia Woolf or Anais Nin. It's probably a tie.

2. What book do you own the most copies of?
The Letters of Mozart and His Family.

3. Did it bother you that both those questions ended with prepositions?
Yes. I'm an obsessed proofreader. I also hate bad apostrophe usage.

4. What fictional character are you secretly in love with?
Glorfindel, in The Lord of the Rings. His entrance took my breath away when I was a tender, romantic 20. If you don't know who he is, sorry about your luck.

5. What book have you read the most times in your life?
A Literate Passion: Letters of Anaïs Nin & Henry Miller. It's the Holy Bible to me, and sits on my bed table.

6. What was your favorite book when you were ten years old?
Auntie Mame: An Irreverent Escapade, by Patrick Dennis.

7. What is the worst book you've read in the past year?
Some crappy Mozart fiction, but since the author attacked me for my rather tame critique of it here on my blog, I'm not naming names. Nothing worse than an author who can't handle honest, respectful criticism.

8. What is the best book you've read in the past year?
Snow in Capricorn, by RW Spryszak.

9. If you could force everyone you tagged to read one book, what would it be?
Tuesdays With Morrie, by Mitch Albom. (And no, I'm not tagging anyone, I promise.)

10. Who deserves to win the next Nobel Prize for literature?
Me!

11. What book would you most like to see made into a movie?
So Faithful A Heart, by K. Lynette Erwin.

12.What book would you least like to see made into a movie?
My first novel.

13. Describe your weirdest dream involving a writer, book, or literary character.
I always dream about my own characters; too many to remember.

14. What is the most lowbrow book you've read as an adult?
A Dog's Life, by Peter Mayle. I loved it!

15. What is the most difficult book you've ever read?
Anything by Joyce.

16. What is the most obscure Shakespeare play you've seen?
Seen, or read? I've read more than I've seen, but I wouldn't consider any of them obscure.

17. Do you prefer the French or the Russians?
Well, I haven't read the Russians, so I guess the French.

18. Roth or Updike?
Meh.

19. David Sedaris or Dave Eggers?
Never read either.

20. Shakespeare, Milton, or Chaucer?
Shakespeare.

21. Austen or Eliot?
Definitely Eliot.

22. What is the biggest or most embarrassing gap in your reading?
I'd like to get into a Russian obsession one day.

23. What is your favorite novel?
The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings trilogy, by Tolkien.

24. Play?
Richard III, by Shakespeare.

25. Poem?
Under Milkwood, by Dylan Thomas.

26. Essay?
A Room Of One's Own, by Virginia Woolf.

27. Short story?
Come Back My Love, by Maurice Walsh. In fact, I liked it so much that I made an opera from it called, The Faery's Daughter.

28. Work of non-fiction?
A Literate Passion: Letters of Anaïs Nin & Henry Miller.

29) Who is your favorite writer?
Who can name only one? Silly question. Henry Miller.

30) Who is the most overrated writer alive today?
Tom Clancy.

31) What is your desert island book?
A Literate Passion: Letters of Anaïs Nin & Henry Miller.

32) And ... what are you reading right now?
The Mayflower, by Nathaniel Philbrick.