Pages

2.26.2009

Move Number 29, but Who's Counting?

I have to admit that the prospect of moving in July is causing me no small apprehension and anxiety. It's not leaving this house, it's all the considerations that go into a move. That's just five short months away. Where will the money come from? Moving is expensive...



It's a trap, really. Because the landlord is increasing the rent to absurd heights, we can't afford to stay, but we also can't afford to move. It reminds me of my first trip to Vienna, when the night before my departure I discovered that I might not have enough money to pay my hotel bill in full. Staying would mean more expense and a missed flight, but how in hell was I going to leave? Scenes of Victor/Victoria came to my mind and I wondered if I too would be faced with having to compromise my virtue for a meatball. (That situation turned out just fine, by the way.)

My other concern is that this is a large house in which five adults live. Will the next place be smaller? Will we be stepping down, so to speak, into a stressful situation, where privacy and personal space will be an issue? Then again, why do I automatically assume that we'll be stepping down? What if we'll be stepping up, or even stepping the same? In my life of many, many moves, I think I've stepped down maybe only two or three times, and those were extreme situations in which I had to re-start my life from scratch. Like my fellow Libra, Paul Simon, these words have always applied:

When something goes wrong, I'm the first to admit it,
I'm the first to admit it and the last one to know;
When something goes right, well, it's likely to lose me,
It's apt to confuse me, it's such an unusual sight...

All I can do is stay optimistic and look forward to the excitement I always feel in a new place. Maybe I'll have trees in the back yard, and flower beds, and a really neat-o place to tie my hammock. Maybe we'll have a real fireplace, a real dining room, and no stairs. Yeah. And maybe it'll be an older house with a front porch, where Nettl and I can sit in the evenings and watch the fireflies. Maybe it'll be in a real neighborhood, where kids "Trick or Treat", and maybe we can get a dog!

Wow. Now I'm actually looking forward to it. I can't worry about the money issue; those things always work out.

Click the picture to move...