Pages

12.05.2013

The Audacious Autodidact

Springer Spaniel by Ron Krajewski
I took a little longer break from blogging than I intended, but I should caution you to get used to that between now and the new year. We're all busier at this time so I know you understand. Meanwhile, I'm trying my hand at something new. It has been a few years since I autodidcted myself (yes, I just invented that word). I think the last thing was CSS markup in 2006, so I'm way overdue. This is what I've headed into. Watercolors...

No, that's not mine! This fabulous pet portrait, Springer Spaniel, is by Ron Krajewski, whose website I heartily suggest you visit when you're done here.

My first subject will be Bookends Cottage, taken from this photo I took during the Christmas Eve blizzard of 2009. I may add the ivy that's grown up over the porch, a hint of the front walk, and some Christmas lights. Depending on how it turns out, I may or may not share the final outcome with you. Hell, if it's good enough, I may even make it into Christmas cards!

Speaking of which, we are expecting snow tonight and tomorrow, probably only 2-6 inches, but by the way the local Walmart is running out of cheap white bread, milk, and Velveeta, you'd think it'll be the Snowpocalypse of the Century. I have two questions:
  1. Why do people panic at the slightest hint of inclement weather these days?
  2. When they do, why do they buy the crappiest food on the shelves?
Actually, I have my own answers.
  1. Weather forecasts have become as tabloid as the news and people watch too much of it. They're addicted to drama because the media is tailored to raise adrenalin levels. Did you know adrenalin is addictive? This addiction turns people into sheeple. It's that simple.
  2. Sheeple have traded their rational sanity for mindless following. This is a real danger. When we're overstimulated our logic flies out the window, and when we're in a constant state of fight or flight, we're easier to control. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Walmart has cut a deal with the Weather Channel.
Homemade soup is better (and cheaper) than the canned crap, and grilled cheddar sammiches on sour dough are healthier, tastier, and more filling than 99¢ bread and Velveeta.

Anyway, enough of that. We're expecting snow and I'm happy as I can be about it. I love snow and I miss winter in Denver. As if the snow was foreseen, we set Saturday aside to put up the Christmas tree and decorations. Usually, we do this in the evening, but it seems to be more physically taxing every year so we'll be doing it during the day this time. We'll still have the hot drinks, mulled wine, and holiday nibbles, so if you live in the Stilly, feel free to drop in!