Pages

12.06.2013

Maybe I Will Be the Next Grandma Moses

Bookends Cottage by SK Waller
Not hardly, but I have to say I'm chuffed with my first stab at watercolors. The piece took me about three hours; I found the sketching part a breeze, and even the painting wasn't too difficult once I got over my anal-retention about detail and non-impressionistic accuracy. It was mixing the colors that took some work. Some little bits came out muddier than I would like... and those trees... and that crooked door... and, well, I have a lot to learn, but I think it's a fair first try...

But it does look exactly like our house. The piece measures only about 6"x4", which made it a little more difficult, I think. No broad brushstrokes or bleeding washes. You can view the reference photograph here.

I have every intention to carry on learning, and I've begun a file on my laptop of photos I'd like to paint. I definitely need real colors and brushes though. The ones I used were just cheapos, sort of a trial to find out if I'd enjoy the medium. Guess what? I LOVE it! I've even decided I like this little piece enough to make it the cover of our Christmas cards this year so if you're on our list, beware! And if you're an artist who happened to stumble onto this blog, please be kind. I've never handled brushes before except to paint walls and my eyes.

Here's a larger image:


Oh, and for those of you who don't know who Grandma Moses is, click here. As for me, I'm enjoying this lovely night with a soft snow falling outside and candles, a bottle of red, and acoustic music inside. I may even sketch out my next attempt!

Hm. it needs more snow. A lot more snow.