Pages

9.01.2009

Sixties Faces: Bob Dylan

Let's forget for a moment that I consider Bob Dylan to be one of America's greatest poets. Let's forget, too, that I've been a huge fan of his music since I first heard him in 1964. Today, in this, my second installment of "Sixties Faces", I want to pay tribute to his physical appearance.

There's something about Bob Dylan's looksas well as the way he carries and presents himselfthat has always epitomized what I consider to be the height of COOL...


Do you remember how radical his hair looked to the world back in the sixties? It caused as much commotion as the Beatles' had. Then, there was his diminutive, fragile build and the way he dressed, not to mention those cool, blue eyes, large, yet sculpted nose, and the way he sang through his teeth. Almost a grimace, really. And Dylan had some long fingernails that gave him a Dracula-like, menacing look.

Although I've never been a smoker, I thought Dylan gave smoking some good press. Man, I would have taken up the habit if I could have looked as cool as he did with a cigarette in his mouth!
Dylan made me fall in love with black sunglasses (or as we called them back then, "shades"). I still own a pair like this. I probably always will.
My favorite Dylan songs (in no particular order):
* Like a Rolling Stone
* Positively 4th Street
* Don't Think Twice, it's Alright
* Sad-Eyed Lady of the Low Lands
* My Back Pages
* She Belongs to Me
* Bob Dylan's Dream
* Tangled Up in Blue
* Spanish Harlem Incident
* Masters of War
* With God On Our Side
* Ballad in Plain D
* Just Like a Woman