Pages

8.14.2007

Time For Change

After that last thyroid storm I've decided that I have to do something to make sure it doesn't happen again. Or at least not for a long time. One day of stress or mismanagement results in one week of hell. That being said, I've already set out upon a lifestyle change...

1 EARLIER BED TIME. Last night I was in bed by 1:00 and I was up at 7:30. It was nice. I can't promise this every night though.
2 ONLY ONE CUP OF COFFEE in the morning, that being the only one I have each day, unless I go to the Hard Back Cafe for book perusal and cappuccino.
3 YOGA AND MEDITATION IN THE MORNING. In the days when I was inspired by California Hinduism and lots of George Harrison music, I was not only a vegetarian, I also spent an hour each morning with yoga and meditation. I studied Kriya Yoga under the teachings of Paramahansa Yogananda and attended services every Sunday at Lake Shrine in Pacific Palisades. I also studied Tai Chi. Although I'm not willing to go to those lengths these days, I will be picking up the yoga and meditation several mornings each week.
4 SMALLER PORTIONS AT DINNER. I don't eat a lot anyway, but my portions at dinner could be a little smaller. The best rule of thumb for me is to make each portion on my plate about the size of a small apple. I've always eaten balanced meals, so this part isn't a burden in the least, unless we're at New China Buffet.
5 I'VE ALREADY DRASTICALLY CUT MY WINE CONSUMPTION. I don't even have one glass of red every day, which I probably should do. But sitting at my computer late at night enjoying a glass or four of wine has stopped. On weekends, however, I like to indulge in one or two glasses. If I drink one more than that I don't feel my best the next day.

What sucks about Hashimoto's Disease most is that it really cuts into my hedonist nature, but it's a small price to pay to ensure no more of these frightening, dangerous storms.