Pages

12.01.2005

My Happy List

I’m following my dear spouse’s example and making a Happy List...

Twenty Things That Make Me Happy
  1. Snow softly falling late at night under a full moon, when everything turns pink and blue.
  2. Evening tea time with Nettl.
  3. A few close friends gathered in my living room, sharing wine and laughter.
  4. Having all the kids (5) home for the holidays.
  5. Hot Ovaltine in big white pottery mugs by a fireplace.
  6. Walking through Hobby Lobby with Ville.
  7. Cats that curl up on your lap when you’re at the computer.
  8. A dog who doesn’t go to bed until you do, regardless of how late that is.
  9. When someone says, “Really?” when I tell them some new, exciting idea I’ve had, although they’ve already thought of it.
  10. When Larry Weinstein tells me I’m a great writer.
  11. Friends who show up on my doorstep, somehow sensing that I needed some company.
  12. When I fall asleep with my head on Nettl’s lap while she brushes my hair.
  13. Hearing Heather singing in her room after we’ve had an especially fun dinnertime at the table. It’s how I know she’s happy and feeling secure.
  14. When one of my boys hugs me.
  15. Nettl’s cute little knees.
  16. Sitting in my favorite Viennese cafe with my friends.
  17. Christmas lights.
  18. Nights with candles and incense, and jamming with a friend on our guitars, playing folk music of the 60s.
  19. The song, Suzanne, by Leonard Cohn.
  20. This feeling of being secure in my relationship with Nettl. It’s something I’ve never known.