Pages

11.03.2011

How About a Cozy Opium Den?

I don't know why or how these things happen, but they do. Last year I planned a psychedelic 60s party for my birthday. It was a lot of fun, but not nearly as many people came as I would have liked. I'm one of those who really needs to own a huge, rambling country house so that I can have tons of guests for an entire weekend. Anyway, tomorrow night we're celebrating my son Micah's birthday, as well as Dr. Kielbasa's...

My idea was a simple little gathering of our closest friends, with wines, cheeses, and other winey nibbles. I made a mix of folk, jazz, and blues, and began decorating the dining room like an opium den. We took out the table and chairs and set up the bay window seat with cuchions and fabrics, etc. This picture isn't that room. I was going to take a picture for you, but it's daytime and the opium den look kind of loses its flavor in broad daylight. This is the kind of look I went for, though, and it turned out really well.

With surprise guests, some whom I know only online and some I've not seen in years, this party is turning out to be bigger than any I've held in about five years. I'm so stoked! It has turned into a Scorpio party because we know so many Scorpios. My Brit compadre, Mrs. Anke, whose birthday is the day after Micah's, says she'll be here in spirit, but shall be celebrating from her throne in Royal Tunbridge Wells. Hope she has a long straw.