Pages

6.26.2007

Potpourri

Honestly, I haven't seen this much rain since I lived in England. Checking the weather channel this morning, I saw that rain is predicted every day this week, but then, that screen has looked like this for weeks now. In southern California there is a condition known by us natives as the "June Gloom". Looks like it has moved east this summer. I don't mind, really. I like rain, but this is so unusual...

I have both a review and an apology to make: I have only just this morning finished Bob Slenz-Kesler's latest book, Sylvia, Rachel, Meredith, Anna, and I absolutely loved it. Not only is it a great story, full of interesting characters who are very clearly defined (one wonders if Bob has an education in human psychology), but it is impeccably written and edited, something that is sorely missing these days. My apology is that I'm sorry it took me so long to finish it. This is due entirely to my own laziness and lack of concentration, and not to the book itself. Great work, Bob! Although you say it's not autobiographical, I see some of both Gerard and Cooper in you. I will hungrily read every book you ever write.



I miss Heather. I wish she wasn't going to be at her dad's for another whole month. When she comes home Nathan will also be coming, and he will spend a week or two with us. Then Lauren will leave for France. The space between Heather's birthday in July and Lauren's departure in August will be the last time we'll have all the kids at home as kids and not adult guests. Sigh. When kids get this age, the front door becomes more like a revolving one. I guess the next phase will be the one that involves grandchildren. I'm more than a little blue thinking about all this.



I've been trying to keep a somewhat normal schedule lately. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but I have to admit that when I do adhere to it (in bed by 2:00 am, up by 8:30), I feel better. My meds are finally balanced, and I feel more like 35 and less like 75, which isn't bad at all considering I'll be turning 56 in September. Now to see my doctor and tell her in no uncertain terms not to mess with my drugs. It has taken me a full year to get to this place. Fortunately, she encourages her patients to be actively involved in their own health, and she trusts my judgment.



You know what really bugs me? Lately, everywhere I go, and on every channel, I hear people say, "My daughter, she..." and "My boyfriend, he...". Doesn't anyone care about grammar anymore, or am I just an old snob?



Well, I have laundry to do, trash to empty, and a screenplay to write.