Pages

2.23.2006

Back Where They Belong

Tonight I watched the first of a six-part series, Monty Python’s Personal Best, that’s being aired on PBS stations nationwide. Usually, Nettl and I watch The Runway Project, but, bless her heart, she understands the love affair I’ve had with the Pythons for the past 30 years and she gave up the telly for me tonight. I remember watching Monty Python’s Flying Circus back when it was current. I was a single parent of two boys, and after they were in bed on Sunday night, I’d plop onto the couch and turn on channel 28 (L.A.’s KCET) and watch Dr. Who, then Python. It was my connection to England, a country I had determined to visit. Within the year I was in England. Welcome back, lads! We’re all older now, we’ve all sprouted a few wrinkles and a few gray hairs, but your humor is as timely and relevant as ever and my devotion is still unflagging.