Pages

6.26.2010

A Sense of What's Important

Two and a half years ago I had a little series here that I called, Why I Love Ventura. If you remember, I claim Ventura, California as my hometown and I'd be living there now, if I could. In that series was a blog post about Two Trees, a beloved landmark.

It seems the Ventura rivieraand Two Treeshas survived yet another fire. Apparently, four teen boys were hiking from a nearby park beneath the trees yesterday (Friday) afternoon when they saw a lighter, which one of them picked up and lit "to see if it worked". How this turned into a wildfire I'm not sure, but the boys said they stomped on the blaze, but were unable to put it out, so they called 911.

But the purpose of this post is not to point a finger or try to find someone to blame. The authorities filed it as "non-malicious", so that's good enough for me. The purpose of this entry is to commend the fire fighters who stationed themselves in front of the trees in order to protect them. Good show, guys!

Click here to read the full story and to see more pictures.