Pages

6.15.2010

Blackouts, Fireflies, Orbs & El Chupacabra

Last night at about 10:00 the lights started flickering, then they went off altogether. No big deal. We lit our candles (we have tons of them all over the house), opened the doors (it's hot and humid here, and with no AC life is hell) and poured some wine. Then we went out onto the front porch, where we sat talking and having a good time, making jokes about El Chupacabra while watching the fireflies, as well as the show of lightening...



It was raining, but it fell straight and gentle, so the porch was dry. It was dark everywhere, and I found out later that the lights were off in certain areas all over town. The guys in these two pic are my sons, Joel and Micah.






Here's pic I took of our neighborhood during the two-hour blackout. I expected to see a lot of darkness. What I did not expect to see was a lot of orbs and odd little white specks.






No, they're not on the lens, because I took an identical pic seconds later and their positions had changed. Make of it what you will. The jury is still out where I'm concerned. If nothing else, these pix show how dark it was.

If you've been watching the news, you know that this state has been having real flooding problems in the past couple of days. Fortunately, all this has resulted in for us is a driveway with some gravel and twig debris, which I'll sweep and wash away once my lower back is working again. I have DDD, you see. I've spent the past three days unable to move much, and in a lot of pain. It's better today, so I think the inflammation is down.

Lowrider didn't much appreciate having her night vision jarred by my flash.

I did rescue a firefly that had gotten caught in a web, mere seconds before the spider would have gotten to it. It had a lot of web on it, so I don't know if it survived.

Today, the storms have passed, and it's sunny. We have a beautiful blue sky and everything is green and blossoming, thanks to the rain. It's been a wild Spring!