Pages

4.29.2010

Because I'm All Written Out Tonight

Kelly, at Byzantium's Shores, posted a music quiz that I thought I'd lend my hand to. I cut out about half of the questions though, and edited it a bit. You know how most of these quizzes read as if they're written by twelve year-olds. Actually, most of them are, come to think of it. Anyway, here goes...


1. What are you listening to right now?
At this moment? Nothing. In general? I have a couple of playlists that I created, songs from the 60s-80s, that I listen to when I'm writing. Things from Cream, ELO, and Toto, to name only one from each decade.

2. What song(s) make(s) you sad?
It's not usually a lyric that makes me sad, but a melody and its harmonic structure. These Dreams by Heart, for example, always makes me feel momentarily sad, as does Procol Harum's A Whiter Shade of Pale and Elgar's Enigma Variations. One mustn't omit Mozart's Requiem Mass, either.

3. What is the most annoying song in the world?
That melody-less boom boom that comes from the cars that drive by. I swear they all play the same song, and only that song.

4. What is your all time favorite band?
The Beatles, of course.

5. What is your newly discovered band?
Not a band, a guitarist: Rory Gallagher.

6. Who has the best female voice?
In rock music, Ann Wilson of Heart. In classical music, Kathleen Battle. In folk, Joni Mitchell. In Jazz, Queen Latifa. In blues, Bonnie Raitt. In Broadway, Bette Midler. In soul, Aretha Franklin. In country, Trisha Yearwood. Have I left anything out?

7. Who has the best male voice?
(Here we go again.) In rock music, early Paul McCartney. In classical music, Sir Thomas Allen. In Folk, John Denver. In Jazz, Mel Torme. In blues, Stevie Ray Vaughn. In Broadway, Robert Goulet. In Soul, Stevie Wonder. In country, Garth Brooks.

8. What type of music do you find yourself listening to most?
It all depends on my mood, but lately, it's music of the 60s-80s.

9. To what do you listen to hype you up?
Songs with positive lyrics, like Pete Townshend's A Little is Enough, Steve Winwood's Back in the High Life, and The Moody Blues' I Know You're Out There Somewhere.

10. What do you listen to when you want to calm down?
Folk or chamber music. Sometimes a little Stan Getz.

11. What was the last concert you went to?
It was a fortepiano recital.

12. What band do you find yourself listening to the most at present?
I seem to be listening to a bit of Toto again.

13. What song makes you think?
Tal Bachman's I Am Free, but not just the lyrics. It's his compositional structure that makes me think. I recently contacted him about it and we passed a bunch of emails discussing it. He's the guy who wrote and recorded She's So High Above Me, and is an exceptional musician.

14. What is the coolest music video?
Well, Michael Jackson's Thriller is probably the best, but my favorite is still Weapon of Choice by Fatboy Slim and starring Chris Walken.

15. What do you play/would you play in the bedroom to spice things up?
Mozart's adagios or any instrumental Baroque. Also, Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez. Wow!

16. Can you play a musical instrument?
What do you have, and can you give me an hour alone with it? Seriously, I play 6 and 12 string guitars, bass, drums, piano, clarinet, penny whistle, bodhran, mandolin, banjo, dulcimer, and bowed psaltry.

17. Are you in a band?
Not anymore, but I've been in a few.

18. Have you ever dated a musician?
My first boyfriend played lead guitar in a really popular band in California in the 60s. After that, no. Not until I met Nettl.

19. What is the best female band?
Fanny.

20. Do you listen to music in foreign languages?
Yes. I love opera.

21. What was your worst concert moment?
I broke a guitar string at the climax of a really good performance once. Luckily, I was on my 12-string, so no one really noticed. But the string kept flying around and getting in the way. Kind of dented the moment for me.

22. What was your funniest concert moment?
One year at the opening night performance of Nutcracker, everyone in the orchestra plotted together to wear silly Christmas and holiday socks beneath our usual concert black. When Frank took the podium in the orchestra pit, we lifted our clothing to expose the socks and I thought he was going to die laughing.

23. What was your saddest concert moment?
Frank's farewell concert after 30 years. He conducted Elgar's Enigma Variations, and I couldn't quit crying during the final variation. It still makes me cry.

24. If you were a musical instrument, what would you be?
A Martin 12-string, baby!

25. Do you listen to the radio?
Only in the car.

26. Do you follow the music charts, like the Top 40?
Nah. I really don't give a damn anymore.

27. Have you met any famous musicians?
Ernie Joseph, the Lovin' Spoonful, the Boxtops, Sky Saxon (the Seeds), Stephen Stills, Graham Nash, Johnny Rivers, Kin Vassy, Donovan, Paul McCartney, Jimi Hendrix, the Leaves, Victor Borge, the Golabeck Sisters, the Doobie Brothers, Eric Burdon, Paul McCartney. If I've forgotten any, one of my friends can remind me in the comments.

28. Are any of your friends/family/etc. musicians?
Every one on my father's side was a musician, as was my brother. Many, many friends.

29. What song best describes your feelings right now?
Watchin' the Wheels by John Lennon.

30. What song best describes your life?
A Whiter Shade of Pale by Procol Harum: "I was feeling kind of seasick, but the crowd called out for more..."

31. Does a musician’s physical attractiveness play a role in the music that you listen to?
Hell no. Who cares!

32. What is your favourite movie sound track?
Probably The Lord of the Rings. I don't really pay attention to movies or soundtracks though.

33. Do you wear band T-shirts?
I'd LOVE to, but I don't have any anymore. All I have that's close is a black tee that has written on it, This is not part of my Rock and Roll fantasy.

34. Do you cook to music?
I was just thinking this evening that I need some sounds in the kitchen.

35. Do you sing in the bathroom?
No, but I listen to music in the bath tub.