Pages

10.31.2012

Writing With a Puppy in the House

I guess I either don't remember what life with a puppy is like, or else my two experiences raising puppies happened when I was young enough not to notice, but I certainly didn't expect it to be what it is. Nigel is a good dog. A great dog, actually, but I'm no longer in my thirties as I was when I last lived with a baby dog.

The good news is that at just under 9 weeks old he is both crate and potty trained. This means he goes into his crate all by himself when he's sleepy and he asks to go outside when he needs to do his business. He learns quickly; show him something twice and he has it.

Of course, there are typical puppy things that try my patience, like waking me up in the morning and chewing on my hairand my hands are a mess from scratches and nipsbut these things will pass in time. I suppose it won't be until around the 12-week mark that I'll be able to get back to my writing when the spirit moves rather than during puppy nap times.