Pages

3.18.2011

Are You In, Mr. Miller?

Have you heard? Henry Miller's Pacific Palisades house is for sale. The five-bedroom traditional has been updated, but much of it remains the same as when Miller died there in June of 1980. As I looked at the pictures of the house on the real estate page, I tried to imagine what it would be like to live there, especially as a writer. Working in the study would be awesome. But that's not liable to happen since the place has a $4.5 million price tag. Gak! There is no mention of its famous former owner. What makes me cock my head though is that the house is situated in a housing tract.

Henry Miller. Housing tract.

Nope, can't work that out in my head. When I think of Miller, I picture him in either Paris of the 1930s, or in Big Sur, definitely NOT an over-priced tract home in L.A.

What would you do if you lived in a house that once belonged to a hero of yours? If I owned this house, I think I'd hold monthly book readings/signings by independent authors.