Pages

9.10.2010

Art Does Not Apologize

From The Writer's Almanac:

It was on this day in 1981 that Picasso's famous painting, Guernica, was returned to Spain to hang in the Prado Museum in Madrid. Picasso refused to allow it to be shown in Spain until the rule of General Franco ended...

Pablo Picasso said, "Painting is not made to decorate apartments. It's an offensive and defensive weapon against the enemy."


I've been a great fan of Picasso's work from the first time I encountered it at the age of 12, but I've developed a new appreciation since I've become interested in the Spanish Civil War and the writings of Lorca. How I wish Maestro Frank Salazar was still here. I'd love to ask him questionshe was a walking encyclopedia on the subject, especially the art, writings,and music that came out of it.

It seems to me we artists are facing much the same thing where education and the arts are concerned, and that we need to cry out against the modern fascism that threatens our personal freedom of expression.

Thank you SeƱor Picasso for this timeless painting.

Hat tip to Fb friend Rebecca Perry for inspiring this entry.