Pages

2.24.2009

S'complicated

People think they don't know me when, actually, I'm rather an open book. No, I'm not. Well, I am, but it's complicated. Like most of us, there are (at least) two of me. On the one hand, what you know of me is only what I choose to show you. On the other hand, what you see is what you get. That's not true. Well, it is, it just depends on the nature of our relationship...



Recently, a friend wrote that she always thought of me as someone who doesn't give a crap about what people think of me. Nothing could be further from the truth, but I tend to shove that vulnerability so far away from me, I guess that's how I must appear.

I'm an artist. Have you ever known an artist who wasn't riddled with complication? I'm also a Libra and I want everyone to like me. Until I'm hurt and no longer care. Then you never existed in the first place, except in the privacy of my mind, where I continue to love and nurture you, and wonder what I did to deserve the scars.

See? Complicated.

You'd think that at my age I'd be over this kind of self-identification and angst. Maybe I'm just making up for the past sixteen years during which I was in a sensual and emotional coma.