Pages

6.05.2008

I've Had Enough of This Crap!

I.Hate.Wind. We've been having high winds now for almost a week and I'm sick of them. The news forecast tells me they're going to last through the weekend, too. Our veranda is in shambles; a trellis has been completely blown down (the wind pulled it off of the joists, nails and all), the plants keep blowing over (I brought the tall ones in) and as soon as we water the flowers and plants, they're dry again.

My eyes are red and swollen from their incessant watering and my nose and throat feel like the Sahara. And the noise! I wear earplugs at night to get away from it and it rattles the house all day. I'm a grouch.

Growing up in southern California, hot, dry winds are no stranger to me. We renamed the Santa Anas to "Satan Anas" because they drive people crazy. Literally. These are no different. Wind like this affects the brain. Schools report increased bad behavior and nursing homes and mental hospitals say their patients become more difficult to manage. We're entertaining guests this weekend and were looking forward to spending some time outside. Pfft!