Pages

6.13.2008

Bovine Blogging

I really love the commercials for Real California Milk. Not only are they shot in my own back yard (the beautiful Santa Ynez Valley, where I grew up on a cattle ranch), but the humor is priceless. I think the first one was the two cows who ring the farmer's doorbell, then stand in the pasture watching him come out wondering who it was. Then, when he goes back inside, the cows giggle. Then came the "Hey, you work out?" commercial and others. The latest one shows the cows enjoying an earthquake as if it's only a foot massage. That one really cracks me up. If you haven't seen them, you can, here.

The first cow commercial I ever saw was made by Gateway and showed a cow sitting shotgun in an 18-wheeler with the chairman of the company, who is driving. The cow produces a CD labeled Cow Mix, "Whip It" by Devo comes on, and the chairman and the cow sing along.

I don't know why I'm writing about this. I have less than one cup of coffee in me and this is what you get, I guess. Growing up with cattle, I know their personalities and they can seem a little smug at times. And they're not as stupid as they appear.