Pages

6.11.2008

A Coffeemaker Spurned

Well, that was a helluvaway to start the day!

I got up, as usual, the first in the household (after Nettl, of course) and went about putting on a pot of coffee. I filled the carafe, poured it in the reservoir, cleaned out the wire basket and measured out the usual number of scoops of coffee into it and put it in its place. I turned the coffeemaker on and, as usual, came upstairs and turned on my laptop, waiting the usual amount of time. We expect a certain reliability and fealty from these little bots in our homes, don't we?...



When I thought it was about time for the coffee to be brewed, I went back downstairs to find... nothing. The coffeemaker just sat there, smirking at me. No gluggling sounds, no enticing aroma, no coffee. Thinking that in my sleepy stupor I must have screwed something up, I fiddled with it for a while until I came to the brilliant conclusion that the thing was kaput. Grumbling, I got dressed, ran a brush through my hair, put on my sunglasses, got in the pickup and drove the several miles to Hellmart and bought the coffeemaker in the picture above.

It took me a little while to learn how to set it up and get the coffee brewing, but here I finally sit with my morning cup. What's really weird is that yesterday when I was out I looked at coffeemakers, but didn't get one since the old one was working fine. It must have quit working out of spite. Bots can be like that. Remember the tude R2-D2 had?

Now, to begin my day the proper way...