My memories of the Park that day, although few, are fairly vivid.
- My dad took me into the Main Street theater to watch the old Steamboat Willy cartoons.
- My brother and I had our silhouettes made.
- We rode the omnibus.
- I got sick and hurled on the tea cup ride.
- I screamed in hysterics at the witch in the Snow White ride.
- I loved the House Of The Future and demanded to see it twice.
- I begged to go on the Dumbo ride and then got sick.
- I screamed in hysterics on the Jungle Boat ride.
I remember that we stayed at the Peter Pan Motor Lodge that night and drove home the following morning. It was the first time I'd ever stayed in a motel or hotel and I thought it was a great adventure; the little soaps fascinated me.
Throughout the following years it was a tradition to go to Disneyland every year and as I grew, I watched it grow. I have so many memories of times spent there that I can't always remember which trip was which. Here's a compilation of memories in no particular order:
- The first time my parents let me loose to explore the park on my own. I think I was 13.
- Grad Night with Deni. We got separated somehow and I spent the entire night alone and miserable.
- Smoking pot with Sammy on the Monsanto ride.
- Memorizing the theme from the GE Carousel Of Progress.
- Stolen kisses on the Peter Pan ride.
- Smoking pot with Sammy on the Sky Tram.
- Getting pretty damned queasy with Jackie on Space Mountain.
- Joel's first Disney trip at the age of two.
- Micah's first trip and him continually breaking away, causing me to chase after him through the crowds.
- Really detesting the Small World ride, but having to go on it for the kids' sake over and over again.
- Joel's first experience of the Pirates ride (I'd forgotten about the two hills).
- Sitting in the pavilion in New Orleans Square while my dad's band performed there one full night. I was as proud as could be.
- Micah's second trip and him continually breaking away, causing me to chase after him through the crowds.
- The first time I turned Joel and Micah loose to explore the park on their own (sweet relief!).
- Being really pissed off when they took out the People Mover.
- The first time I ate a pineapple spear in 100+ degree heat while waiting for the Tiki Room to open.
- Many exhausted drives home, fighting to stay awake while my friends inhaled helium from the balloons and spoke like munchkins.
- My last trip 10 years ago, which was also with Joel when I lived in California.