Pages

9.25.2007

Exactly What I Wanted

My birthday yesterday was perfect. I slept until 9:30, spent the day doing whatever I wanted (which was mostly nothing), and then my son Joel took us all out to dinner to Bad Brad's. I got a Mystery Science Theater "Deep 13" tee and a button of Torgo saying, "The master will not be pleased." For those of you who aren't into MST, there's no way to explain this to you, but for me, this was a great gift! I also got a dvd of Immortal Beloved starring Gary Oldman, a film that Nettl and I have had on our wish list for a long time, simply because Oldman's performance is so wonderful. The music's not bad either!...

My sons, Joel and Micah, went in together on a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum Ex sound card. It looks a little intimidating to me, but from what I've read, my music is going to sound great after Micah gets it installed. I haven't been working on my compositions because the sound cards that came in my last two computers didn't have the orchestral voices I need. I can't wait to get at it. When we were at Ville's on Friday night, she gave me a new "Dad" shirt. As some of you know, I collect Hawaiian and wild-print shirts. I even have a glow-in-the-dark Spam shirt that Ville got me last year.

But I also received a number of non-material gifts today, gifts that are really what birthdays are all about for me. I got a hug from one son, an "I love you" from another, an "I love you, Wolfi" from Heather, two phone calls from Big Brother Ernie, and a beautiful tribute that Nettl spent a great deal of time and love on. I also received numerous good wishes from family and friends, and from you, too. Could I be any happier? No way!

A sincere and heartfelt thank you to everyone who made my birthday so special. I am the most fortunate of people!