Pages

8.07.2009

This Small Space

Our first week in the cottage is over and the only thing I'm having trouble with is the feeling of being cramped into a smaller space. In the living room, the corner where the TV and stereo are, is dark, but there's no way to put a lamp there. Also, there's all of our books, CDs, DVDs, and VHS tapes. The latter three groups can be stored in a drawer under the window seat in our bedroom, but I like having my books out. I think these issues will be solved once we can afford a smaller sofa. Besides being huge, this one's upholstery is dated, dark, and visually demanding...



The master bedroom is the most cramped, and although it's truly lovely, I can't spend any time in there that I'm not actually sleeping. Just getting to my side of the bed is like a minor obstacle course, especially when all the pillows are on the floor.

Adjusting from a large house to a smaller one is going to take a little time, I think. We have a huge garage though, which is going to save us. I already have plans to get plastic bins, a label maker, and several tall metal shelving units. Some stuff will be sold at our yard sale, some will go into the attic (which has its own set of pull-down stairs), and the rest will go into the bins for easy access.

When you're small you have to be more creative. That applies to everything from being small of stature (when it's easy to go unnoticed) to living in a small space, and even to composing smaller forms of music and writing. One has to express oneself concisely, and let's face it, I'm no minimalist in any sense of the word.

Every day a few more projects get accomplished. Yesterday, Micah and I connected the washer and dryer. Thank God we have a large, modern laundry closet! I also organized the master bedroom closet and got about half-way through the gallery wall above the piano. That's coming out nicely! I should have that finished today. I also found a place for my dad's barometer; I'm never truly "home" in a house until it has found its place. Next comes finding a place for my mom's tea cups. I don't really like showing them like a collection though, because we use them. I just need to find a place for them.

Another cup of coffee and I'll be set to get busy. Have a great day, everyone!