Pages

8.17.2009

A Few of Our Favorite Things

Our things just look better in this old cottage than they did in the newer house we recently moved from. I thought I'd share some of our little treasures with you (pictures enlarge when clicked).

My mother was born in 1925, and this was her baby plate. It has a small chip in it, but other than that, it's in perfect condition. If anything ever happened to it, I'd just die. It's nice to think that when this cottage was built, my mother was just beginning kindergarten.




An odd angle shot of the music gallery wall above the piano.

Shall I pour?

Porcelain baby shoes to commemorate the birth of Nettl's three children.
Behind sits a lidded chalice that I bought many years ago in California.

We have an angel in our dining room window!

Research books still waiting for a bookcase.

Top of a bookcase.

Books enjoying a temporary home, and a little brass and copper
Chinese pillow box that was given to me for my birthday in 1982.

An 18th century buckled shoe steps out over a nativity dish my uncle brought home from Japan during WWII and two tiny boxes I bought in the Eighties.

Beautiful little Nettl!

Our latest find.

A perfume box, in dappled afternoon sun, that belonged, I believe, to Nettl's mother.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

I am in no way fond of dolls; they kind of creep me out like clowns creep out other people, but I have to admit that Nettl's American Girl doll, Addie, is pretty cool. She has been given a bright spot in the bedroom window seat.

Kitty in the bedroom window, above which hang my Irish grandmother's hand-tatted tea linens.

Pretty lady on a little wall.

Bathroom table.

Diamonds and lace.