Pages

8.20.2009

Our Little Secret

Okay, so it's almost the South. It may not be the Deep South, but it's South enough. It's called the Mid-Southwest, but to me, this is the outer reaches of the South. Hey, Civil War battles were fought here, so that cinches it for me. It's the South. Remember the Mason-Dixon Line?

Anyway, my point is, it's buggy here. Really buggy. In California we had ants, some mosquitoes, a few flies, June bugs, and snails. Here, it's mosquitoes, flies, cicadas, June bugs, and roaches (the cicadas are polite, however, and never venture into the house. They're happy just to sing outside in the trees). Roaches, especially, are an anathema to me because to have them in California equates filth, trash... filth. I've lived in a few old houses and I've never had roaches. I'm your basic Felix Unger, you understand...



When we first came in to clean and paint this cottage, we found that there were roaches in the kitchen (gods, I blush to even mention it!). Not a major infestation, luckily, and they weren't huge in size. The largest was probably only a quarter of an inch and the rest were tiny, like ants. Still, I knew that I'd be taking them to Fist City if they didn't get the hell out once we started cleaning. Their presence wasn't a hassle as much as it was offensive. Our family will not fight for our food, damn it. You're not welcome here, bastards.

We bug bombed the place before moving in, which got rid of most of the older ones, but new eggs must have hatched and now I'm seeing the little ant-sized ones. Cool. They're easy to spray with bleach water and churn down the garbage disposal. Zero tolerance, zero pity.

I made little balls out of borax, sugar and flour, but I'm not sure that's working, and every night before I go to bed, I spray the bleach water onto the counters and drawer fronts, and lightly wipe them down. Now, I never see them in the day time, but about this time of night I begin seeing a couple of them venturing out. This weekend I'm buying some roach motels and some Raid, and our kitchen will become their worst nightmare.

Okay, I feel better just writing about this. It's embarrassing to me, but this was college student housing for years; it's no reflection on me, after all. I just want the buggers gone.