Pages

8.06.2009

Mixing My Metaphors and Loving It

The phrase, "a monkey on my back" has always conjured up the most terrifying image. Now that we've moved and lowered our monthly out-flow (rent, utilities, gas, and groceries), I can see that our big, beautiful house was a gigantic monkey on our backs. Actually, it was King Kong and we were a 3,000 square foot house, not the Empire State building! What a load! A beautiful, yet blood-sucking monkey...



Today, I rejoice that our financial crisis is over, although it may take a couple of months to actually see the results of our decision to move. Today, the other house looks like a sinking ship and this one looks like a life raft that will take us safely to shore. Today, I rejoice in the courage and commitment of our family, and our willingness to pull together and do whatever has to be done to escape that crisis.

Blog Queen (who's back on the web, by the way, with her new blog, Inconsequential Logic... YAY!) wrote a blog entry about her recent commitment to learn how to swim. In it, she related a story of watching a woman in her class who panicked and started flailing around, forgetting that she was in the shallow end of the pool while her classmates yelled, "Just stand up!" That really made an impression on me, and I realized that if our family panics now, afraid of going under, all we have to do is stand up--we've made it to the shallow end!

Today, I offer a heartfelt, sincere thank you to everyone who has hung in there with us though our crisis. Now, the monkey is off our backs and things are already improving.

I still believe in miracles.