Pages

7.14.2010

Visualizing the Mundane

Last Sunday afternoon while I was trying to take a nap, something came to my mind that kept me awake. I started thinking about celebrities pushing shopping carts. Yeah, I know that's weird, and when I turned over and told Nettl, who was also trying to nap, she got into it, and instead of a pleasant Sunday afternoon nap, we spent an hour speculating and laughing. That was cool.

Some people I can visualize doing this mundane task and looking quite comfortable, but some, well, I can't see them doing it at all. This picture is of Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie. Nope. Doesn't work for me. Neither one looks right with a cart. Here are the lists of people I've come up with, living and dead...

People I CAN visualize pushing a shopping cart:
  • Paul McCartney
  • John Lennon
  • Harrison Ford
  • Jay Leno
  • Robin Williams
  • Drew Carey
  • Ozzy Osbourne
  • Bette Midler
  • Bill Cosby
  • Doris Day
  • Graham Nash
  • Jeff Lynne
  • Matthew Broderick
  • George Clooney
  • Tom Petty
  • Jack Black
  • Carlos Santana
  • Donovan
  • Stevie Riks
  • Allen Ginsberg
  • Bonnie Raitt
  • Bela Lagosi
  • Richard Gere (he'd be a label reader)
  • Jayne Mansfield
  • Gwenneth Paltrow
  • President Obama (he'd be a comparison shopper - "Why should we spend this much when we can get the same thing for 7-cents cheaper per ounce? That's just not smart.")
People I CANNOT visualize pushing a shopping cart:
  • Ringo Starr
  • George Harrison
  • Mark Hamill
  • Rod Stewart
  • Elton John
  • Michael Douglas
  • Catherine Zeta Jones
  • Keith Richards
  • David Letterman
  • Larry Weinstein
  • Jimi Hendrix
  • Katherine Hepburn
  • Billy Joel
  • Ellen Degeneres
  • Wayne Brady
  • James Dean
  • Elizabeth Taylor
  • Bob Dylan
  • Jimmy Page
  • Chris Walken
  • Marilyn Monroe
  • Eric Clapton
  • Jack Kerouac
  • Humphrey Bogart
  • Anthony Hopkins
  • First Lady Michelle Obama ("You push the cart, baby, while I grab shit.")
This list could go on forever, so feel free to add your own ideas. I'm getting another glass of wine.