Pages

12.14.2008

By Request: My Fideo (aka Hangover Helper)

Pronounced "fee-DAY-o"

First of all, you have to understand that I don't make or keep recipes. I'm one of those if-it's-in-the-pantry-and-it'll-work-throw-it-in kind of cooks. Yesterday's pot of Fideo (which we're still enjoying today) was more planned. I actually went out to get the ingredients. Also, I don't measure anything, so use your own creativity and taste to make your Fideo...



The Ingredients:
  • 4 cans chicken broth
  • Cooked chicken breast cut into large chunks (I used canned or leftovers)
  • 1 pkg fideo noodles (if you can't find them, just break uncooked spaghetti into 1"-2" pieces
  • 1 lg can tomato puree
  • 1 can diced tomatoes (I use the Mexican blend)
  • 1 bottle chili sauce (sometimes I use leftover salsa)
  • 1 can sliced black olives
  • 1 can yellow hominy (sometimes I use leftover corn)
  • Olive oil
  • 2 bay leaves
  • Parsley
  • Salt & pepper to taste
  • 2 ribs celery, chopped
  • 1 sm red onion, chopped

Toppings:

  • Sour cream
  • Grated longhorn or cheddar
  • Sliced avocados
  • Tortilla strips (I cut 6 flour tortillas into thin strips) fried in vegetable oil
  • Several green onions, chopped
  • Lemon juice to taste
  • Restaurant style tortilla chips
In a large stock pot, warm olive oil. Add celery, red onion, Fideo noodles and salt & pepper, and cook until the noodles are light gold. Add chicken broth and enough water to fill the pot until it's a little over half full. Add all the canned ingredients, chicken and spices. (Be creative. Add cilantro, paprika, chili powder, whatever suits your fancy.) Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for about 30 minutes. Be sure to taste it and add salt if needed.

Meanwhile, heat vegetable oil in a large skillet. When it's hot, throw in the tortilla strips a little at a time and fry until golden and crisp, then drain on a paper towel.


To Serve:
Ladle the soup into bowls and let everyone to top their own.

You can make it with fewer ingredients too. I've sometimes made it without broth, puree, chicken, or any of those. Sometimes I make it with leftover taco or burrito beef. It's basically a leftover soup, so play with it.

There are many, many ways to make Fideo. I've seen it served a lot like spaghetti. Fideo is the Spanish word for noodle, so I suppose I should call my recipe "Fideo Soup". Whatever you call it, this stuff will kill a hangover of any magnitude!