Pages

8.15.2011

Bait and Tackle

Before I commit myself to a week of heavy editing, I'd like to take a moment to leave some semblance of a blog entry for those of you who still come here. Since I began writing my trilogy, many regular readers have flown the proverbial coop and, where I once used to get up to twenty comments on each post, I now get one or two, if that...

I'm not complaining. Keeping a blog popular is hard work that requires a great deal of dedication and I have given myself over to writing books which, naturally, hogs up every ounce of those qualities. Them's the breaks, I guess. Plus, I just don't have the luxury of being able to spend all afternoon creating and spit shining a blog entry every day; we're working ourselves to death just to keep a crust of bread in the house. I'm not complaining. We have a house, which a lot of people don't have these days.

Which brings me to an idea I've had.

In the past I hesitated to join the eBook parade because, first, I simply didn't understood the potential it carries and, second, because I wanted to spend my time writing "real" books. Thanks to Joe Konrath, I've seen the light and I've decided to write and upload a bunch of eBooks for Kindle which will sell for 99¢ apiece. One in particular is called Hungry In The Heartland and is a compilation of past (edited) blog entries about what I've learned, felt and overcome during our decade-long financial emergency. And many people (including the editor of our local newspaper) liked those entries. Let's put them use then. It seems like a fair trade: others can learn from my experiences, and we can eat something besides beans and rice.

Make no mistake. These books are not created to be masterpieces (although I still invest as much energy and dedication into them as I do my ongoing list of larger works), nor do they aspire to be best sellers. They are created to make money. At 99¢ a pop, the hoards of people who haunt the Kindle pages in search of indie authors can provide me with an income while I give them something worthwhile to read. The concept is simple: the more fish you seed into the lake, the greater the catch.

And that, my friends, is my entry. Have a beautiful week!

Art Credit: "Trying to Capture the Moon" by Kanelstrand.