Pages

1.02.2010

The Year in Review Meme

Kelly posted this on his blog, Byzantium's Shores, and I thought it was a great idea...

1.  Did you keep your New Years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don't remember making any resolutions last year. I've learned not to, due to my health, but now that I'm feeling so much better I don't mind making a couple: 1) to continue increasing my creative output and 2) to get more cowbell in my life.

2.  Did anyone close to you give birth?
No, not unless you count Ville's feral cats.

3.  Did anyone close to you die?
No.

4.  What countries did you visit?
Through writing my new book, I've mentally revisited and have fallen in love again with England.

5. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
Money!

6.  What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Helping Nettl with her book (which is now on Amazon). I not only contributed to its content, I also edited it and designed the cover, as well as its website.

7.  What was your biggest failure?
I don't think in those terms because there's always something to learn.

8.  What was the best thing you bought?
Nettl bought me this laptop with her tax refund, bless her!

9.  Whose behavior merited celebration?
Nettl's, for her courage and unflagging faith that all things work together for good.

10.  Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
The press and the religious/political right.

11.  Where did most of your money go?
Rent and utilities.

12.  What did you get really excited about?
My improving health and becoming myself again. Also, the Christmas Eve blizzard.

13.  What song will always remind you of 2009?
Blue Swede's cover of "Hooked On A Feeling" (Ouga-chaka!).

14.  Compared to this time last year, are you happier or sadder?
Much, much happier.

15.  Thinner or fatter?
I'm about the same I think. I lost a bit, but the Holidays put it back on. It'll go; I don't worry about that stuff.

16.  Richer or poorer?
Poorer financially, but richer in every other way.

17.  What do you wish you'd done more of?
Reading, and writing music.

18.  What do you wish you'd done less of?
Worrying about crap that I have no control over.

19.  How did you spend Christmas?
We had a great little Christmas with our imediate family.

20.  Did you fall in love in 2009?
I don't have to fall, I've already landed!

21.  What was your favorite TV program?
We no longer watch TV and I'm glad. I was able to really enjoy the Holidays without all the marketing and hype, and not watching the news has greatly contributed to my current peace of mind.

22.  Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Hate is a waste of precious energy and hurts no one but the hater. Give it up.

23.  What was the best book you read?
So Faithful A Heart by K. Lynette Erwin.

24.  What was your greatest musical discovery?
Luigi Boccherini. I knew of him and his work, but I'd never just seriously listened to him.

25.  What did you want and get?
I wanted to feel better, and I do.

26.  What did you want and not get?
I wanted to sell my Mozartiana last Fall. Hasn't happened yet, but it will soon, I'm sure. Just waiting on the economy to improve.

27.  What were your favorite films of this year?
I'm not a movie person, but we rented a few. Of those I really loved August Rush.

28.  What did you do on your birthday?
I wanted to stay home and hide away, which is what I did.

29.  How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
No change. I'm still wearing jeans and Hawaiian shirts.

30.  What kept you sane?
Nettl and my family and friends, my blog friends, wine, writing, music, and the 24-karat springs on my feet.

31.  Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Stevie Riks.

32.  What political issue stirred you the most?
Health care, Gay rights.

33.  Who did you miss?
Frank, Dad, Mom, Steve, George, John, Geor3ge & Noelle, and Micah (when he went to Kansas and England).

34.  Who was the best new person you met?
We've never met face-to-face, but I consider Roschelle my friend. She's a lovely person.

35.  Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009:
Don't worry. Let it flow. Surrender. Forgive.

36.  Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
And I'm looking for space,
And to find out who I am;
And I'm looking to know and understand.
It's a sweet, sweet dream,
Sometimes I'm almost there.
Sometimes I fly like an eagle,
And sometimes I'm deep in despair.


(John Denver, Looking For Space)