Pages

7.12.2009

Fixing a Hole...

One wouldn't think of spackling a three-bedroom, two-bathroom house as a big job, but when the house has been lived in only by college students for the past 10 years, the picture changes. Remember when we were that age? Remember all of the posters, mementos, calendars, and greeting cards we stuck to our walls?...



When I spackled the walls in our last house (which was considerably larger than the cottage) I used only half a can. In the past two days, our little cottage has consumed an entire can, and I'm really frugal with it because I don't like sanding all that much. But, you see, I'm rather house-proud and I feel that a job worth doing is worth doing right. In other words, if I'm going to have to motivate my lazy ass to step up and down a step stool a thousand times, and pull all those nails, tacks, and push pins before I spend bucks (and several days) on painting, I'm going to effin' Spackle! There's nothing worse than a freshly painted wall that's pockmarked with unfilled nail holes. I mean, what's the point?

I'm not kidding. There was one 4-inch spot on one of the master bedroom walls that had about twenty holes in it. It was while I Spackled it that I apologized to my dad for all of the holes he filled (several times) in my bedroom walls throughout my teen years, without complaint. Thanks, Dad.