One of the things you have to go through when you get a new computer is working through all of the little issues. Just like getting a new car, or a new pair of shoes, or even adapting to a new relationship, you're faced with breaking it in and getting to know its quirks, strengths and weaknesses. This weekend was spent fighting with my mouse.
I've used the same mouse for the past two years--the Logitech mini optical mouse--and now Nettl's using it with the Dell laptop I used before I got this Toshiba. For 20 bucks, it's a great mouse! When I went to get a new mouse, I got the same model, not knowing that it would have issues with Vista 64-bit. Actually, it worked like a charm for a week, then it suddenly began acting weird and was unresponsive at times. Being the geek that I am, I immediately started combing the forums via Google, looking for an answer. I'm writing this blog entry so that other people will find it and will get their mouse and Vista in synch.
The first thing I did was download Logitech's Setpoint 4.00 for Vista 32 & 64 bit. It has a setup interface as well as a battery life meter. Can't hurt. After that was installed and configured, I restarted my computer, plugged in the USB, and hit the reset button on the bottom of the mouse (don't use your finger, use a key or a paperclip, or something, and hold the mouse down by the USB). I've had no problems with the mouse since. It sounds easy, but I spent all Friday night and all of Saturday looking for a solution. I hope this helps you Google Searchers get it done faster!
This Geek Break is officially over.