Pages

11.17.2005

Of Course

“It’ll only take half a day.”

Famous last words by Paul, the mechanic at the Ford dealership. Nettl borrowed her boss’ car and we took ours to get the lighting problem fixed at 8:00 in the morning. When 3:30 rolled around, I called and was told that the car still wasn’t ready. Around 5:00 Nettl called and was told it was ready, so we went to get it. I got the keys and got in. I turned on the lights. What did they do, just park it in another spot, not bothering to even look at it? Still no tail or dash lights. Jebus Crast…



When we went back into the service office the guy behind the counter told me, if the recalled part (which he says they replaced) wasn’t the problem, that’s not their fault. That wasn’t my issue. I was pissed that they had it all day, then told me it was fixed when it wasn’t. Of course, he found all kinds of excuses and things got a little heated. Turned out we left it for them to check in the morning.

Of course the connector was the problem! I’d gotten under the dash and had seen that for myself last week. I suspect he’s going to try to shaft me. After all, when Ford pays for recalls, the dealerships make no profit. It’s times like this that I really wish I was a 6′ 2″ man.

Fuckerheads.

He mentioned that it may be the light switch, which I will not pay for, because, as it is written on the recall details:

Summary:
VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PASSENGER VEHICLES. THE TERMINALS AT THE HEADLIGHT SWITCH AND WIRING HARNESS CONNECTOR CAN EXPERIENCE HEAT DAMAGE AS A RESULT OF OVERHEATING.
Consequence:
THE DAMAGE COULD RESULT IN DISTORTION OF THE TERMINAL CAUSING AN OPEN CIRCUIT IN THE INSTRUMENT PANEL ILLUMINATION, PARKING LAMP, AND TAIL LAMP CIRCUITS.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSTALL A HEADLAMP SWITCH WIRING CONNECTOR CONTAINING BRONZE TERMINALS AND AN INSPECTION, AND REPLACEMENT IF NECESSARY, OF THE HEADLAMP SWITCH.

Still, If the switch is the problem, they should have checked it since it’s mentioned in the recall report. And how can they say the connector wasn’t the problem anyway? The symptoms match perfectly. Fur will fly tomorrow if they try to stick me with a huge bill.

This wasn’t the day for this. Last night, something irritated my right eye and I awoke this morning with a shiner. Seriously, I look like someone punched me. All day it has stung and watered, and it hurts to keep it open for long. This resulted in a nap this evening from 8:00 to 11:00. You’d think I wouldn’t go to bed tonight, but that’s exactly where I’m going. What’s up with my health lately?