Pages

3.02.2005

Got My Clown On

Last night Joel and I went to see the late showing of The Aviator, a truly good film. I’ve never really taken DiCaprio very seriously until now. His acting was superb; I was especially impressed with his work in the plane crash scene. Being the age I am and hailing from southern California, I’ve always loved Hollywood history, especially the era depicted in the movie.

Before the picture began, the usual set of recorded music played, first a tribute to Jimi Hendrix by Lenny Kravitz, then a Hip-Hop song with words in it that sounded like "I got my clown on". It was a “love song,” however (I insert quotations because in my opinion no Hip-Hop song ever really qualifies as a love song), so I doubt those were the words the guy said. Nevertheless, the phrase stuck with us and has now become part of our family lexicon...



This reminds me that I’ve been considering putting my personal and family lexicon here on my blog. One of my favorite things is to invent vocabulary and phraseology (scribbling note to self in my notepad…).

After the movie we cruised over to our favorite pub, the Stonewall Tavern, or as we call it, the Wall. Week nights are $5 pitcher nights so we ordered up and had a great time sitting at the bar, discussing the movie. The Wall plays the best bar music, mostly 60s and 70s, my two favorite musical decades where popular music is concerned.

Anyway, I’m spending the day in composition. I have a trio (piano, violin and ‘cello) in d minor that wants out.

It felt really good to get out with my son and do our thing. At $5 a pop, we could go to the Wall once a week. Hell, Joel even said it would be his treat because he knows how bottled up I’m feeling right now. It’s good to have a kid over the age of 21.